Marshall to host
Marshall Area Stage Company will host the “Little MACT*Fest on the Prairie” March 3-4 in Marshall, MN. This is the 23rd biennial festival of performances by Minnesota amateur community theatres. The event includes afternoon and evening performances by 10 community theatres at Schwan´s Performing Arts Center, Marshall High School, 400 Tiger Drive. Morning workshops are offered at Southwest MN State University, just across Highway 23 from the high school.
Audiences will see theatre companies set up, perform and strike their shows, followed by comments by three adjudicators. Awards will be presented Sunday morning.
This year Minnesota is also hosting a Region Festival in Brainerd and the National AACTFest in Rochester! The best shows from seven state festivals perform at the Region 5 AACTFest: April 27-30 at Central Lakes College Theatre. The best shows from 12 regions perform at the National AACTFest: June 26 - July 1 at Rochester Civic Theatre at the Mayo Civic Center. More details: http://www.aact.org/17.
Performances: at the Schwan Center for Performing Arts at Marshall High School
Calumet Players, Pipestone: Always a Bridesmaid
Applause Community Theatre, Mendota Heights: Mr. Burns, a post electric play [Act 1]
The Play’s The Thing Productions, Lakeville: Unnecessary Farce
Marshall Area Stage Company, Marshall: The Phony Physician
Fungus Amongus Players, Dassel-Cokato: The Voice of the Prairie
GREAT Theatre, St. Cloud area: The BFG (Big, Friendly Giant)
Minnesota SkyVault Theatre, Chatfield: On the Road to Verona
Ensemble Theatre Company, Minneapolis: Run for Your Wife
Ole Olson Onstage, Stillwater: Lyin’ Leo of Lyon County
County Seat Theater Company, Cloquet: The Mad Tea Party.
Workshops: Fri.-Sat. mornings at Southwest Minnesota State University
* Planetarium workshop and show hosted by Ken Murphy at the SMSU planetarium.
* “The Art of Live Sound Effects” presented by Paula Nemes and Maureen Keimig.
* “Sound Cues with Ableton Live” by Mike Jurek.
* “Aging Techniques for all Ages,” a make-up workshop by Christopher Russo.
* “Writing a Short Play” by playwright Greg Abbott from Mankato.
* “Hollywood Flats” by Mike Lenz, SMSU Tech Director.
* “Wireless Microphone Tech & Tips” by Mike Lenz.
* “Lighting Effects on Scene Painting” by Pipestone area artist Tammy Grubbs.
* “Sharpen your Audition Skills” by Julianna Skluzacek of the Merlin Players.
* “Voice for the Stage” by Darcey Engen of Sod House Theater and Augsburg College Theatre.
* “How to Use Improv in developing new material as well as in exploring scripted characters” by Daved Driscoll of Rochester.
Welcome reception and afterglow party after Friday plays, at The Sleep Inn.
A silent auction, at Marshall High School.
Festival Gala after Saturday evening shows, at Marshall HyVee Market Grill.
Awards breakfast Sunday, 9:30 AM at Marshall High School Cafeteria.
The public is welcome. Modest admission prices are: workshops ($10), performance sessions of two to three plays ($15) and other events. A Festival package covering all events is available. For more information:
Mail: (Registrations) Larry Pint, 704 Main St W, New Prague, MN 56071
Accessibility accommodations for any of the festivals must be reserved in advance.